Are you looking for a recipe filled with nutritious foods for building and maintaining eye health? We're sharing another recipe today from EyeCare America, a public service program of The Foundation of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, that will do just that.
Citrus and Sesame Granola
- 2 lemons, zested
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1½ oranges, zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup pure maple syrup (or ¼ cup maple and ¼ cup honey)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups organic rolled oats
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup raw almonds or pecans
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup raw sesame seeds
- ½ cup unsweetened dried coconut
- ¼ cup flaxseed, ground
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- 1 cup dried fruit (preferably peaches,
- apricots, and papaya)
- ½ cup plain or flavored organic kefir
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir zest, juice, extra virgin olive oil, syrup, egg whites and vanilla together in a medium sized bowl.
- In a large bowl mix the oats, ½ of the nuts, ½ the sunflower seeds, all the sesame seeds and the coconut. Stir in syrup mixture.
- Spread thinly on two cookie sheets covered in parchment paper, or tinfoil for easy cleanup. Bake for 15 minutes then stir granola on trays with a wooden spoon.
- Continue to bake for seven more minutes or until golden brown. Remove and cool.
- Stir in remaining nuts, flax seed, wheat germ and dried fruit.
- When completely cooled, store in airtight containers and enjoy for up to a month, or keep in freezer for up to six months.
- Serve with organic kefir.