Changing your diet to eat for good health might not always sound appealing, but the food can still be just as yummy! Our recipe of the week, from EyeCare America, a public service program of The Foundation of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, is a delicious and healthy choice for your vision.
Luscious Grapefruit Meringue
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup confectionary sugar
- 2 large pink grapefruits, halved, sections pre-cut for easier eating
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites with the vanilla cream of tartar and the salt until foamy.
- Gradually add the confectionary sugar and continue beating until the mixture is shiny and forms stiff peaks.
- Cover the surface of the each grapefruit half completely with generous gobs of meringue and bake for 15 or 20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.