Nutrients such as lutein/zeaxanthin, vitamin C, vitamin E, folate, and omega-3s are important for healthy vision. Enjoy this recipe from the American Optometric Association; it's filled with these nutrients!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 four-ounce tuna steaks (preferably sushi grade)
- 1/3 cup red onion, minced
- 2 oranges, peeled with all pith removed, and cubed
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Blend olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice in a shallow pan. Add tuna, turn to coat evenly, cover and marinate for up to 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, blend onion, oranges, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, and salt & pepper. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Place steaks in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 2 minutes per side for medium rare (3 to 4 minutes per side for well done). Serve with salsa spooned over top.