What's better than a fresh, healthy meal? A meal that's also good for the eyes! See below for a healthy vision recipe from EyeCare America, a public service program of The Foundation of the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
Banana Blossom Salad
- 2 small banana blossoms
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons white vinaigrette
- 2 cups shredded poached chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped rau ram
- (Vietnamese mint)
- 6 tablespoons chili fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons crispy shallot flakes
- 4 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
- Peel off and discard the touch, old outer layers (called bracts) of the banana blossom. Use a Japanese mandolin with the thinnest setting and cut into fine julienne strips.
- Immediately plunge into large bowl of cold water with the white vinegar. Remove the julienne
- strips and shake off the tiny white buds (chopped up baby buds). Rinse and drain. Squeeze dry of the excess water.
- Put 4 cups, well packed, strips into a bowl and toss with the white vinaigrette for a few seconds. Pour off the excess liquid.
- In a separate bowl, toss the shredded chicken with salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Add the grapefruit, rau ram, and the chili fish sauce; mix together thoroughly.
- Divide equally and mound the salad onto 4 separate plates.
- Top each with 1 tablespoon of crispy shallot flakes and 1 tablespoon of the chopped peanuts.
- Serve immediately.